Wednesday 1 May 2013

The Roaring Twenties

Partying it up - Wooster-style

Good Night Vienna
Goodnight Vienna, you city of a million melodies,
Our hearts are thrilling to the strains that you play,
From dawn 'til the daylight dies.
Goodnight Vienna, where moonlight fills the air with mysteries,
And eyes are shining to the gypsy guitars
That sing to the starry skies.
Enchanted city of Columbine and Pierrot,
We know the magic of your spell,
Of our romances you're the hero,
Now is the time to say farewell.
Goodnight Vienna, now lovers kiss beneath your linden trees,
The world is waiting on the edge of the day,
Just waiting to say Goodnight!


Sonny Boy
Climb up on my knee Sonny Boy
Though you're only three Sonny Boy
You've no way of knowing
There's no way of showing
What you mean to me Sonny Boy.

When there are grey skies,
I don't mind the grey skies.
You make them blue Sonny Boy.
Friends may foresake me.
Let them all foresake me.
I still have you Sonny Boy.

You're sent from heaven
And I know your worth.
You made a heaven
For me here on earth.

When I'm old and grey dear
Promise you won't stray dear
For I love you so Sonny Boy.
When there are grey skies,
I don't mind grey skies.
You make them blue Sonny Boy.
Friends may foresake me.
Let them all foresake me.
I still have you Sonny Boy.
You're sent from heaven
And I know your worth.
You've made a heaven
For me here on earth.

And the angels grew lonely
Took you because they were lonely
I'm lonely too Sonny Boy.


Minnie The Moocher
Hey folks here's the story 'bout Minnie the Moocher
She was a red-hot hoocie coocher
She was the roughest toughest rail
But Minnie had a heart as big as a whale
 
She had a dream about the king of Sweden
He gave her things that she was needin'
He gave her a home built of gold and steel
A diamond car with platinum wheels
He gave her his townhouse and his racing horses
Each meal she ate was a dozen courses
Had a million dollars’ worth of nickels and dimes
She sat around and counted them all a million times
 
Poor Min, poor Min, poor Min.


Forty-Seven Ginger-Headed Sailors
Now there's a good ship,
H.M.S. Cock-Robin.
On her home trip,
Up and down she's bobbin'
So the crew's pretty tough.
The sea is so rough.
They're all fed up and say
That they've had more than enough.
I've got a brother
He's an able seaman
And they call him Redhead Tom
I wire to say I'll meet you
And with your pals I'll treat you
So who do you think I've had a message from?

Forty-seven ginger-headed sailors
Coming home across the briney sea
When the anchor's weighed
And the journey's made
Then they'll start the party
With a heave-ho, me-hearty

Forty-seven ginger-headed sailors
You can bet you're going to hear them when they hail us
An old maid down in Devon
Said my idea of heaven
Is forty-seven ginger-headed sailors!


Puttin' On The Ritz
Have you seen the well-to-do
Upon Lennox Avenue
On that famous thoroughfare
With their noses in the air

High hats and narrow collars
White spats and fifteen dollars
Spending every dime
For a wonderful time

If you're blue
And you don't know where to go to
Why don't you go where Harlem flits
Puttin' on the Ritz


Spangled Gowns upon the bevy of
High browns from down the levy
All misfits
Puttin' on the Ritz

That's where each and every lulu-belle goes
Every Thursday evening with her swell beaus
Rubbin' elbows

Come with me and we'll attend their jubilee
And see them spend
Their last two bits
Puttin' on the Ritz


Oh By Jingo
Oh by gee by gosh by gum by jove
(Oh by jove, oh by jove, oh by jove)
Oh By Jingo won't you hear our love
(Will you kindly raise your voice? Louder!)
We will build for you a hut
(Yes!)
You will be our favourite nut
(Crack!)
We will have a lot of little Oh By Jones
Dress them up in cloths and clothes


By Jingo said "By gosh by gee
(gabcde stop!)
By Jiminy, please don't bother me"
(Bother her! Bother her!)
So they all went away singing
Oh by gee by gosh by gum by jove By Jingo
By gee, you're the only girl for me.

Bring my lobster on a clean plate.



Ever So Goosey
Maud and Fred were courting,
The wedding day grew near.

Said Fred to Maud one evening,
I wish you'd tell me dear.
How do you feel when you marry your ideal?
Ever so goosey, goosey, goosey, goosey.
How do you feel when the bells begin to peal?
Ever so goosey, goosey, goosey, goosey.
Walking up the aisle, in a kind of daze,
Do you get the wind up when the organ plays?
How do you feel when the parson's done the deal?
Ever so goosey, goosey, goosey, goosey.



"The man that hath no music in himself... is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils" - (William Shakespeare).


No comments:

Post a Comment